to put away for future use
treasure
corner
effect
cook

a jack of all trades

Judged vs. esteemed | that are featured for no other apparent reason
a jack of all trades #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:18 am   a jack of all trades

His brother was a structural engineer and he studied the trade for eight years in school. Unlike his brother, he was more of a ......... who worked all kinds of jobs: construction, window washing, dishwashing and anything else that came along. The difference in success in the two's careers was evident in their houses. The engineer had a beautiful, palatial house and he had a mediocre mobile home.

(a) proponent of spontaneity
(b) jack of all trades
(c) multitask specialist
(d) artisan

His brother was a structural engineer and he studied the trade for eight years in school. Unlike his brother, he was more of a jack of all trades who worked all kinds of jobs: construction, window washing, dishwashing and anything else that came along. The difference in success in the two's careers was evident in their houses. The engineer had a beautiful, palatial house and he had a mediocre mobile home.

Correct answer: (b) jack of all trades

His brother was a structural engineer and he studied the trade for eight years in school. Unlike his brother, he was more of a multitask specialist who worked all kinds of jobs: construction, window washing, dishwashing and anything else that came along. The difference in success in the two's careers was evident in their houses. The engineer had a beautiful, palatial house and he had a mediocre mobile home.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Does the meaning of the phrase "multitask specialist" lie in other area than the one of the "jack of all trades"? I have a little guess that in the first case the meaning is associated with the time and switching among tasks but the second is associated with the number of tasks that a person can make. Am I right?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

a jack of all trades #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 23:15 pm   a jack of all trades

The phrase 'multitask specialist' is not a common usage phrase.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of timeit was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.He had been itching to see that band in concert for years.Orign of 'In every life, some rain must fall'?What does the phrase "Saul is also among the prophets" mean?jump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"Come with me? What does that mean?what does sole mean?easy for you to say?Why do we use you instead of me?