to require; to compel; to force upon; to enforce; to institute
floor
second
execute
impose

that are featured for no other apparent reason

a jack of all trades | He action moved at great speed
that are featured for no other apparent reason #1 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:32 am   that are featured for no other apparent reason

He went to a prestigious school and entered a career in law just to make money. He always wanted to be part of the ......... -- the people you read about in magazines that are featured for no other apparent reason other than to show how cool they are or how much money they spend on a regular basis.

(a) beautiful folks
(b) ruling class
(c) jet set
(d) burgeoning proletariat

He went to a prestigious school and entered a career in law just to make money. He always wanted to be part of the jet set -- the people you read about in magazines that are featured for no other apparent reason other than to show how cool they are or how much money they spend on a regular basis.

Correct answer: (c) jet set
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Would I be right if I've said that in the last sentence ("...that are featured for no other apparent reason other than to show how...") one of the word "other" is unnecessary?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

that are featured for no other apparent reason #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 18, 2013 23:15 pm   that are featured for no other apparent reason

Yes, the test contains an error. Only one 'other' should be used.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of timeit was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.He had been itching to see that band in concert for years.Orign of 'In every life, some rain must fall'?What does the phrase "Saul is also among the prophets" mean?jump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"what does sole mean?easy for you to say?Why do we use you instead of me?Why it is not "going" instead of "to go"