course or method of action; guidelines; position; standpoint; insurance contract
caveat
policy
destruction
electrician

it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem

what does sole mean? | jump through hoops
it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:17 am   it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem

"I went to see the presidential candidate speak in our town and let me tell you, it was a ......... out there. You couldn't hear the man speak, fights were breaking out, everyone was yelling and cussing at each other and someone's car was flipped over," Lisa told Elizabeth.

(a) mayhem
(b) jungle
(c) meeting of the minds
(d) moratorium

"I went to see the presidential candidate speak in our town and let me tell you, it was a jungle out there. You couldn't hear the man speak, fights were breaking out, everyone was yelling and cussing at each other and someone's car was flipped over," Lisa told Elizabeth.

Correct answer: (b) jungle

"I went to see the presidential candidate speak in our town and let me tell you, it was a mayhem out there. You couldn't hear the man speak, fights were breaking out, everyone was yelling and cussing at each other and someone's car was flipped over," Lisa told Elizabeth.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Tell me please why "mayhem" in the sence of "violent or damaging disorder; chaos" is not correct here?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 am   it was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhem

You would have to say
It was mayhem
not
it was a mayhem.

The inclusion of the indirect article indicates that mayhem cannot be used, as 'mayhem' is uncountable.
_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.to keep his creditors at bayI got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of timeI am glad that he got his just desserts.she should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.that are featured for no other apparent reasona jack of all tradesHe had been itching to see that band in concert for years.Meaning of "jump on the bandwagon"He action moved at great speedRandom choice