Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

opposite of child; a grown-up; a mature person
profusion
style
repair
adult
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

I am glad that he got his just desserts.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
to keep his creditors at bay | What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?
listening exercises
I am glad that he got his just desserts. #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am   I am glad that he got his just desserts.

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #527 "English Slang Idioms (111)", question 6

"I heard that your brother received two years in jail for theft. I am glad that he got his .......... It made me sick to think of how many things he stole from people's houses," Emma's stepmother told her.

(a) Judge, jury, and executioner
(b) Pale moon rising
(c) just desserts
(d) Silver spoon

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #527 "English Slang Idioms (111)", answer 6

"I heard that your brother received two years in jail for theft. I am glad that he got his just desserts. It made me sick to think of how many things he stole from people's houses," Emma's stepmother told her.

Correct answer: (c) just desserts

It's very interesting and funny pun, though! I've chosen it by the "exception method".

I am glad that he got his just desserts. #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:38 am   I am glad that he got his just desserts.

Justr desserts = what he deserves
Language Coach

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Re: I am glad that he got his just desserts. #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 21, 2013 14:59 pm   Re: I am glad that he got his just desserts.

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

57 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

The fearful squaddie deserted into the desert as he had stolen the general's dessert.
The deserter get thirsty within the scorching desert but he had only some huge sweet dessert. And so the desert gave him the pudding that he deserves -- a shrunken head that only looked like a chocolate dessert, just his just deserts. And now the fearful squaddie can shrink to think, no more.
Down the hatch and sorrry for the snowy winter.

to keep his creditors at bay | What does this phrasal verb mean: "start off"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.I got the piece into my editor's office just in the nick of timeit was a jungle out there vs. it was mayhemshe should start jockeying for positionYou are like a little kid with jam all over his face.jump through hoopsMeaning of "jump on the bandwagon"what does sole mean?Question tag: she does, does she?