Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to see with the eyes; to view; to notice; to discern; to observe
further
run
stay
sight
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
U18 - Is "U" the abbreviation of what word? | [t]he Canterbury Tales VERSUS [T]he Canterbury Tales
listening exercises
He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:35 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

Hi teachers,

Please look at this pair of sentences.

He works 12-hour days.
He works 12 hours a day.

Is there any subtle difference?

Thanks in advance

Jupiter
Jupiter
I'm here quite often ;-)

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:23 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

Quote:
He works 12-hour days.
He works 12 hours a day.

Hi

12-hour days sounds like days consist of 12 hours only instead of twenty four hours, i.e, 12- hours is adjective and days noun.. It is just like one-year diploma, I think. The second one seems natural to me.
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:51 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

And I agre with Tom. The second one makes sense.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:27 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

I'm afraid I have to disagree with Tom and Pamela. ;)

Both sentences mean the same thing and both are normal sentences.

Amy

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:52 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

:oops: Having reread the first sentence I see that I made a mistake.
Pamela
I'm a Communicator ;-)

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:38 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

Thank you, Amy for once again enlightening me.

Could you please shed some more light on the first sentence? I still do not understand how it is correct! Is days adverbs here? Like he works days but I work nights, but then why 12- hour like an adjective?

Tom

Hi Pamela

...which is why I do not give my shallow opinions on other people's queries--just to save myself some face! :oops: You hastened to agree with me! :lol:

Tom
Tom
I'm a Communicator ;-)

He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular? #7 (permalink) Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:53 am   He works 12-hour[s] days - plural or singular?

Hi Tom

"Work X-hour days" is idiomatic. The word day in the idiom refers only to a "workday". The length of a "workday" is the number of hours spent at work/at the company in a 24-hour period.

Amy

U18 - Is "U" the abbreviation of what word? | [t]he Canterbury Tales VERSUS [T]he Canterbury Tales
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"However" versus "No matter"Meaning of "worry over"Expression: "Be it ever so..."Meaning of "in this light vein"Except vs. except forHe has yet to learn the past tenseA mixture of igniting vs. the ignition of a mixtureIt is raining VERSUS It has been rainingMind, it is a joke no longerA long full name of person in English LanguageThe verb go in a particular sentencePronunciation of Lucky SantangeloEver been 'critized'? (as opposed to 'criticized')