Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

defect; imperfection; crack; strong gust or wind
flaw
dispatch
estimate
enrichment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Use of "slip" | meaning of "Things in nature"
listening exercises
Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl. #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:11 am   Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #541 "English Slang Idioms (127)", question 2

She knew that her fear of contracting a disease from eating fish bordered on the pathological. She felt bad whenever she went to someone's house for dinner and the dinner turned out to be fish. She felt bad because she knew she would reject eating the meal and would, therefore, insult her hosts. Just the thought of eating fish made her ......... crawl.

(a) bugs
(b) flesh
(c) thoughts
(d) mind

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #541 "English Slang Idioms (127)", answer 2

She knew that her fear of contracting a disease from eating fish bordered on the pathological. She felt bad whenever she went to someone's house for dinner and the dinner turned out to be fish. She felt bad because she knew she would reject eating the meal and would, therefore, insult her hosts. Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.

Correct answer: (b) flesh

Your answer was: incorrect
She knew that her fear of contracting a disease from eating fish bordered on the pathological. She felt bad whenever she went to someone's house for dinner and the dinner turned out to be fish. She felt bad because she knew she would reject eating the meal and would, therefore, insult her hosts. Just the thought of eating fish made her mind crawl.

Hi Teachers,

I wonder, does the expression "border on the pathological" grammatically correct? I mean, the word "pathological" is an adjective, so the article "the" needn't before it, am I right?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl. #2 (permalink) Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:31 am   Just the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.

'bordered on the pathological' is correct.
Similar examples:
bordered on the extreme
bordered on the ridiculous

The word 'type' is assumed:
bordered on the pathological type of behaviour, bordered on the extreme type of attitude, bordered on the ridiculous type of behaviour, etc.
Language Coach

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Use of "slip" | meaning of "Things in nature"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackhe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookMeaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workGot to keep you sharp. Just trying to keep you on your toes.Question tag: she does, does she?Question tags