foreign; abroad
somber
tense
overseas
thorough

he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook

meaning of "Things in nature" | throw off the scent/track
he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:25 am   he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook

After the police questioned him about his whereabouts on the fateful night, they established that he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the ......... for the murders. He was relieved as he could once again resume his normal life.

(a) shelf
(b) path
(c) hook
(d) list

After the police questioned him about his whereabouts on the fateful night, they established that he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook for the murders. He was relieved as he could once again resume his normal life.

Correct answer: (c) hook

_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Answering on the "English Slang Idioms" tests I'm noticing repeatedly that in the test's text appear many set phrases and idioms that are not included in the question and I'm afraid they're lost. I'm knowing about them by seeking that unclear part of text in my dictionary.

In this test case (142) I'd attribute to set phrases or idioms such expressions as "air-tight alibi" (3), "facts and figures" (10).

Maybe collecting these expressions into a separate test would be more helpful for us? Or they already exist, with an appropriate level of expressions of that sort? :)

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workUse of "slip"Question tag: she does, does she?