baby; very young child; toddler; tot; minor
impact
infant
head
equal

throw off the scent/track

he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook | What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?
throw off the scent/track #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 am   throw off the scent/track

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off ......... for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

(a) scent
(b) focus
(c) examination
(d) track

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off track for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

Correct answer: (d) track

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off focus for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

My dictionary says me that "throw off the scent/track" has an identical meaning. So, does it true or the answer with the "scene" is not correct?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

throw off the scent/track #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm   throw off the scent/track

To throw off the scent.
.
The "the" is missing here, that's why "scent" is incorrect.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workDoes to detest mean to hate?Use of "slip"