Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

baby; very young child; toddler; tot; minor
impact
infant
head
equal
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

throw off the scent/track

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook | What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?
listening exercises
throw off the scent/track #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:32 am   throw off the scent/track

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #542 "English Slang Idioms (142)", question 6

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off ......... for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

(a) scent
(b) focus
(c) examination
(d) track

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #542 "English Slang Idioms (142)", answer 6

"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off track for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

Correct answer: (d) track

Your answer was: incorrect
"His stellar reputation and his connection to the police department threw me off focus for a while but he is our killer. He had a good motive; his wife was threatening to divorce him for some impropriety he committed with his secretary and she was in possession of a two million dollar inheritance that he would inherit if she passed away.

Hi Teachers,

My dictionary says me that "throw off the scent/track" has an identical meaning. So, does it true or the answer with the "scene" is not correct?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

throw off the scent/track #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm   throw off the scent/track

To throw off the scent.
The "the" is missing here, that's why "scent" is incorrect.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
he had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hook | What does this phrasal verb mean: "go over"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsroom onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accounton the shelf vs. on holdHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Meaning of the phrase "to signify expanding"?it was in his best interest to make a clean breast of his crimesas mad as a badgerlowering one's sights from post graduate studies and doctoral workDoes to detest mean to hate?Use of "slip"