to partition; to be partitioned
stress
segment
enthuse
demolish

on the shelf vs. on hold

room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account | and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions
on the shelf vs. on hold #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 am   on the shelf vs. on hold

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the ......... until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.

(a) hold
(b) shelf
(c) freeze
(d) record

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.

Correct answer: (b) shelf

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the hold until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Doesn't both expressions "put on the shelf" and "put on hold" mean the same - to delay or postpone something? What is pointing at advantage of that version compared with this one?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

on the shelf vs. on hold #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 10, 2013 13:43 pm   on the shelf vs. on hold

The expression is 'on hold' and not 'on the hold'.

TOEIC short conversations: Two people talk about their cell phone providers

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Malnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Meaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackthe results were off the scalehe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Does to detest mean to hate?honors vs motionsIdiom: Made a mistake