to create a timetable; to enter into a timetable; to plan for a certain date
cater
taste
case
schedule

room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account

I'm going away for a few days... | on the shelf vs. on hold
room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:36 am   room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the ......... until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.

(a) hold
(b) shelf
(c) freeze
(d) record

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.

Correct answer: (b) shelf

"We are going to have to put our plans to add another room onto our house on the hold until we have more money in our savings account," Ben said to his roommate Bill.
_________________________

Hi Teachers,

Don't both expressions "put on the shelf" and "put on hold" mean the same - to delay or postpone something? What is pointing at advantage of that version compared with this one?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:55 am   room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account

They do, but you cannot use 'hold' here because there is an article - 'the' in the correct place in the sentence.
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 06, 2013 20:13 pm   room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account

Hi Beeesneees,

I only want to say that I found the version of the expression put on hold without the in The Free Dictionary by Farlex, so I'd decided that's correct.

Does the expression there have grammar error (the expression put on the shelf has the, though)?

Thank you,
Vladimir.
_________________
My little horse must think it queer...
Vladimir13

Location: Moscow, Russia

room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:37 am   room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings account

There is no error. Both expressions mean roughly the same - 'put on hold' (no article) = delay for the present. 'Put on the shelf' (with article) = leave to one side for the time being. For me 'put on hold' is the more common expression.

_________________

Malnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Meaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?she is going to be mad at you to the nth degreeand hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactionsHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackthe results were off the scalehe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookJust the thought of eating fish made her flesh crawl.Does to detest mean to hate?honors vs motions