Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to surpass; to pass; to go beyond; to outdo
exceed
equal
worry
gross
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
on the shelf vs. on hold | she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree
listening exercises
and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:22 am   and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", question 9

He hoped that his account was not overdrawn. He had hastily left his home early that morning for the business trip and had neglected to include his company credit card with his things. He had had to pay for his hotel, gas, and food out of ......... and hoped that he the available funds to cover the transactions.

(a) petty cash
(b) personal investment
(c) pocket
(d) coffer

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #546 "English Slang Idioms (149)", answer 9

He hoped that his account was not overdrawn. He had hastily left his home early that morning for the business trip and had neglected to include his company credit card with his things. He had had to pay for his hotel, gas, and food out of pocket and hoped that he the available funds to cover the transactions.

Correct answer: (c) pocket

Your answer was: correct

Hi Teachers,

I suspect that the sentence "... and hoped that he the available funds to cover the transactions." is needed in the verb "had" after "he". Am I right?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:58 am   and hoped that he had the available funds to cover the transactions

Yes.

TOEIC short conversations: Two conference participants introduce themselves to each other
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
on the shelf vs. on hold | she is going to be mad at you to the nth degree
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Malnutrition is a big problem in developing countries.Meaning of "cover"?What does "dip into my savings" mean?room onto our house on the shelf until we have more money in our savings accountHe had a drinking problem for a while and is now on the wagonon the wagonthrow off the scent/trackthe results were off the scalehe had an air-tight alibi and told him that he was off the hookDoes to detest mean to hate?honors vs motionsIdiom: Made a mistakeNever look a gift horse in the mouth?