to a greater distance; more; in addition
apart
last
further
enough

Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad

Error. | moderating vs moderate
Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:21 am   Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad

There was also news that the Government would restrain the import of some goods, including construction steel, to curb the trade deficit.
I am not sure about the use of "the"s in the sentence above.
I think the first one is used to mean some specific goods but I don't see they are metioned in the report.
Is the second one used to mean trade deficit in construction steel?
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Screen

Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 19:51 pm   Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad

I think the mere fact that it says "... of some goods" is enough specificity to justify the definite article. (Actually, I think in that sentence I would use "importation" rather than "import".)

I understand "the trade deficit" to refer to the country's overall deficit in all goods. Because there is only one, and we know which one it is, we use "the".
Dozy

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 22:18 pm   Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad

Thanks, Dozy!

I want to ask you more about this.
If "some goods" isn't mentioned anywhere in the report and only the writer know what are these goods, then is it correct to use the definite article?
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Screen

Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 12, 2013 23:16 pm   Use of "the" in "the import of some goods" and "the trad

Yes.

It is also not impossible to drop the article and use "import(ation)" as an uncountable noun, though in that case "importation" sounds better to me than "import".

"an import(ation) of some goods" sounds like a single instance of importation, which is not what is meant.
Dozy

Error. | moderating vs moderate
too/very much"It cost a lot" vs "it costs a lot"and especiallydragged the index southHad he been waiting long? vs. Had he been waiting for a long time?please correctWe spent a week there last year vs. We spent there a week last yearHe is as tall as I am VS He is as tall as meAnd then another, and yet another VS And then another, and another yetit is not binding on salaried citizens to get an income tax return filedvery best / too bestI wandered through the empty streets VS I wandered for the desert roadsbuy/bought