to go regularly to (a certain place); to patronize
paint
frequent
initial
divide

as the company is know

to get one over on | Bracketed second letter of word?
as the company is know #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:36 am   as the company is know

Caseamex, as the company is know, informed the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development (MARD) on Monday that it had signed a contract to sell the animals to a company in China.
I think the bold is a mistake. It should be "as the company is known". Am I right?
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Screen

as the company is know #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 01, 2013 11:29 am   as the company is know

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

1. I believe that you are 100% correct.

a. The company is knowN as Caseamex.

2. I also think (repeat: think) that it should say:

Caseamex, which the company is known as, informed ....

a. I say this because if you were to diagram that sentence, I truly believe that it would be analyzed as:

Caseamex, the company is known as which, informed the .... ("Which" is the relative pronoun; "as" in that sentence only introduces "which":

That is, "The company is known AS Caseamex." Another verb would not need "as":

The company is called Caseamex.
Caseamex, which the company is called, informed ....)

James
James M

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
as the company is know #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 01, 2013 15:56 pm   as the company is know

The company is knowN as Caseamex. AGREE

Possibilities:
The company has an oriental name in China. The speaker gives a different name for the company since he is speaking to an occidental audience.
Caseamex, as the company is known as in America, informed...
and
Caseamex, the name by which the company is known in America, informed...

a. I say this because if you were to diagram that sentence, I truly believe that it would be analySed as:

Oh, NO! 'which' is the pronoun for a noun, and the noun here is 'company'. At best it would be, "Caseamex - the company is know as such (in America) - ..."
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

as the company is know #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 01, 2013 18:32 pm   as the company is know

The company's actual name is "Cantho Import-Export Seafood". Quite a mouthful, and that's the reason for the nickname Caseamex, not because Americans don't know how to type or pronounce chinese ideographs.

There are a lot of companies with nicknames. Before 1982, when it was broken up, AT&T was known as "Ma Bell" SLM is called "Sallie Mae". IBM is known as "Big Blue".

Screen is right; the original sentence only needs that missing n.
SteveThomas

as the company is know #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:56 pm   as the company is know

Thank you, James, Bazza and Steve, for your helps!
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Screen

parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downSubject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and Nouncomplicating/complicated factorTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questionsas in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPMaintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]baby's coming/birthback then: back is a verbArranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?]