Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to receive; to obtain; to purchase; to bring; to persuade
endure
practice
get
break
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of arrested | How do we use this question tag: "Mustn't you"?
listening exercises
What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:47 am   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", question 6

Now, where are you ......... for?

(a) doing
(b) going
(c) driving
(d) making

Test No. incompl/elem-20 "Where am I?", answer 6

Now, where are you making for?

Correct answer: (d) making

Your answer was: incorrect
Now, where are you driving for?

why i am wrong?

hoas
hoas

Make for #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:52 am   Make for

Because when you are making for a destination you are going there. To make for is a phrasal verb and means to move towards to.
Please take a look here for more information:
Make for the town?

TOEIC listening, talks: A radio traffic update
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #3 (permalink) Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:33 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Why not 'going' for, and why 'making' for, Please explain.

Thx & Rgds
Fatima Samy
Fatima Samy

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #4 (permalink) Thu Nov 13, 2008 13:22 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Hi Fatima,

'Making for' means going to a particular place as in: We are making for Paris and hope to reach there by this evening.

'Going for' means trying for something or trying to attain something as in: She is going for a gold medal in the next Olympics.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #5 (permalink) Tue Nov 18, 2008 16:07 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

THANK YOU ALAN, for clarifying that out, i was really confused on this one :-)
Ceo Neeraj
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:57 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Hi

Why going is not correct?

omario
Omario

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 13:00 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Because you don't use the verb going in connection with the preposition 'for' when you want to know where a person is going. You can say 'where are you going to' but not 'where are you going for'?

TOEIC short conversations: An employee asks her co-worker to take over her shift
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #8 (permalink) Mon Mar 02, 2009 22:00 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

why is driving for incorrect?
Tamta Antadze

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #9 (permalink) Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:58 am   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Because you can say 'Where are you driving to' but not 'Where are you driving for'.

TOEIC listening, photographs: A baseball game
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #10 (permalink) Thu Mar 12, 2009 23:51 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

hi teachers
we can say that "we are making for college/office"
Samrina

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #11 (permalink) Mon Jun 01, 2009 17:14 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Thanks Alan! I've got one more phrasal verb! I didn't know "make for" means "move towards"!
Johnpros

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #12 (permalink) Tue Jun 09, 2009 21:13 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Hi!
Where I can find out more information about this topic??
Maori

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #13 (permalink) Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:35 am   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Hey, now it has become my personal phrase ... Mum we should sleep early because tommorow we are to make for
morning walk.
please tell me if these sentences are up to the mark "this evening I am to make for a seminar, my best friend is to make for a concert or party this saturday.
Sonia*
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom? #14 (permalink) Thu Oct 01, 2009 20:06 pm   What does this phrasal verb mean "to make for"? Is it an idiom?

Thanks alan

for explaination.
Aali_F22

Can you help me plz #15 (permalink) Fri Oct 02, 2009 13:43 pm   Can you help me please

Hi
Kindly correct me in the following sentence
"I refused to accept an invitation at such a short notice?"(when i was so busy and not in a position to attend a pary)or

"I refused to accept an invitation for my busyness."

Regards
Arsaghazal

Meaning of arrested | How do we use this question tag: "Mustn't you"?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What is the difference if the order of words changed?catch up vs. make upSee a concert?The stove top burners are all in good working order...Meaning of "off"?Supper is a main mealWhat are the kinds of size of a steak sandwich?What is the difference between concerning and complacent?What does "get through with you" mean?What does catch on mean?Meaning of disappearButting in front of others vs. butting in in front of othersHow to use the reflexive pronouns?