Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

perfect; imaginary; excellent; best; exemplary
vacant
ideal
exclusive
portable
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

forget vs forget about

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
please,help! | According to/In your observation, are there more fat men or women?
listening exercises
forget vs forget about #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:24 pm   forget vs forget about

Hi teachers,
I have read this explanation on your forum. I really don't know when it was and I have added myself 'omit' in that. Do you agree?
'Forget' on its own simply means 'not remember'. I forgot my password - Have you forgotten your password?
When you add 'about', you are talking more generally to suggest 'dismiss/remove/omit from your memory.

Examples:
A I have forgotten my password.
B Don't you remember that you put all your passwords on a sheet of paper?
A Yes, you're right. I'd forgotten about that.

This one is mine. Is it correct?
Would 'forget about' also mean 'stop thinking about'?
He only wanted to sleep and forget about (stop thinking about) what happened at work.

Thanks.
Readytolearn
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: forget vs forget about #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:47 pm   Re: forget vs forget about

Readytolearn wrote:

This one is mine. Is it correct?
Would 'forget about' also mean 'stop thinking about'?
He only wanted to sleep and forget about (stop thinking about) what happened at work.

Thanks.

Yes.

To forget something is to no longer have the information in your head when you think about it.
To forget about something is to not have it in your thoughts.

My mother gave me her recipe for potato salad, but I forget where I put it.
Oh, shoot! Tonight I was supposed to pick up Donna and take her to the meeting with me,but I forgot about it.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
forget vs forget about #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:53 pm   forget vs forget about

Hi Steve Thomas,
Thanks a lot for your reply. It is indeed very helpful!
Is it also correct to add 'omit' in that definition?

RtL
Readytolearn
I'm here quite often ;-)

forget vs forget about #4 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:55 pm   forget vs forget about

In "He only wanted to sleep and forget about what happened at work", you can say that "forget about" means "dismiss from your memory". I don't really see any need to add a new definition "omit from your memory" for that case, and, anyway, "omit" does not seem to be quite the right verb for the context. To be honest, I don't think the explanation you quote about "talking more generally to suggest dismiss/remove/omit from your memory" very satisfactorily captures the difference anyway.

There is less difference between "forget" and "forget about" in your example than in the password example (though still a slight difference in nuance).
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

please,help! | According to/In your observation, are there more fat men or women?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
How to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?certain of/aboutIntroducing to the boss for the first timeMeaning of "performance"?unlessDread to do vs. dread doingrain is going to gradually stopsubsidiary vs. daughter companyHiya,nice to see you guys hereHyphen in compound wordsShe claims it is possible to deduce mattersword ladder: nose to chinby-the-piece/one-off