prop; brace; economic assistance; upkeep; encouragement; aid
selection
decrease
environment
support

Dread to do vs. dread doing

unless | rain is going to gradually stop
Dread to do vs. dread doing #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 16:04 pm   Dread to do vs. dread doing

Why do we say
I dread to think what will happen, but
I dread going to the dentist

From the sentences above, can we add the verb dread to a certain category of verbs such as remember, forget, regret, try, stop, go on, mean and come which take the to-infinitive and the gerund with difference in meaning

Sincerely,
SardorBEK
Foreigner

Location: Uzbekistan

Re: Dread to do vs. dread doing #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 17:45 pm   Re: Dread to do vs. dread doing

The infinitive refers to a particular occasion/action while the gerund refers to a general trend or nature or feeling.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dread to do vs. dread doing #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:19 pm   Dread to do vs. dread doing

My two cents:

Consider "to dread to think/imagine" as a set collocation (stock phrase):

The other one is not a collocation: "to dread doing something" - "to dread the idea of doing something".
_________________

(at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examcertain of/aboutIntroducing to the boss for the first timeMeaning of "performance"?forget vs forget aboutsubsidiary vs. daughter companyHiya,nice to see you guys hereHyphen in compound wordsplease,help!According to/In your observation, are there more fat men or women?