Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

prop; brace; economic assistance; upkeep; encouragement; aid
selection
decrease
environment
support
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Dread to do vs. dread doing

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
unless | rain is going to gradually stop
listening exercises
Dread to do vs. dread doing #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 16:04 pm   Dread to do vs. dread doing

Why do we say
I dread to think what will happen, but
I dread going to the dentist

From the sentences above, can we add the verb dread to a certain category of verbs such as remember, forget, regret, try, stop, go on, mean and come which take the to-infinitive and the gerund with difference in meaning

Sincerely,
SardorBEK
Foreigner
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: Dread to do vs. dread doing #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 17:45 pm   Re: Dread to do vs. dread doing

The infinitive refers to a particular occasion/action while the gerund refers to a general trend or nature or feeling.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Dread to do vs. dread doing #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 05, 2013 20:19 pm   Dread to do vs. dread doing

My two cents:

Consider "to dread to think/imagine" as a set collocation (stock phrase):
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/I+dread+to+think

The other one is not a collocation: "to dread doing something" - "to dread the idea of doing something".
I'm a Communicator ;-)

unless | rain is going to gradually stop
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
(at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examcertain of/aboutIntroducing to the boss for the first timeMeaning of "performance"?forget vs forget aboutsubsidiary vs. daughter companyHiya,nice to see you guys hereHyphen in compound wordsplease,help!According to/In your observation, are there more fat men or women?