occurring every three months; taking place four times a year
capable
correct
conservative
quarterly

Meaning of "performance"?

24 hours car park vs. 24 hour car park | certain of/about
Meaning of "performance"? #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 5:11 am   Meaning of "performance"?

Could you please help me with the meaning of the word "performance" in the following sentence:

Technology and innovation are growing new audiences for the arts, and advances in broadband technology are both building capacity in regional Australia and helping bring performance and ideas to international audiences.
Galilom2002

Re: Meaning of "performance"? #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:46 am   Re: Meaning of "performance"?

With "performance and ideas", the writer is trying to encompass both sides of human endeavour, from innovative ideas (which are abstract), to the concrete expression of innovation (concrete = existing in a material or physical form; real or solid; not abstract).
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Re: Meaning of "performance"? #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:01 am   Re: Meaning of "performance"?

Thanks very much for your answer!!!

Could you please be more specific?

I am wondering whether it means "any recognized accomplishment" or "achievement"?
Galilom2002

Re: Meaning of "performance"? #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:52 am   Re: Meaning of "performance"?

Could you please be more specific?

You are asking me to be specific...about what the writer is being judiciously(=having, showing, or done with good judgment or sense) 'unspecific' about!

I am wondering whether it means "any recognized accomplishment" or "achievement"(=a thing done successfully, typically by effort, courage, or skill)?

All concrete manifestations are derived from ideas, which are abstract.

Since no one, no country really wants to promote their failures, only their successes - and "recognized achievements" are successes - then 'performance' refers to those, without bragging about them, or even stating as much outright: Australians don't brag...and cut tall poppies down to size!
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]baby's coming/birth(at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examIntroducing to the boss for the first timeGotten out of bed [synonym for gotten up?]unlessDread to do vs. dread doingforget vs forget aboutrain is going to gradually stopplease,help!