Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

friend; member of an academic organization; suitor
recipient
instant
fellow
rubber
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

to get one over on

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
knowledge or knowledges? | as the company is know
listening exercises
to get one over on #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:36 pm   to get one over on

Hi,
I guess he's eager to prove those who sacked him were wrong (he now faces his former club), still don't completely work out the "to get one over on" construction (= get a win over [Southampton]--?) :

"You would think Nigel Adkins [coach] would love Southampton after his sacking in January."
Thank you.
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:37 pm   to get one over on

Sorry, it should read, "You would think Nigel Adkins [coach] would love to get one over on Southampton after his sacking in January."
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
to get one over on #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:59 pm   to get one over on

"get one over (on someone)" means to trick, defeat, gain an advantage, etc. In this context it probably refers to getting a win over Southampton as you say (however, "get one over" is a general set expression, not perceived as a replacement of "a win" with "one").
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 13:56 pm   to get one over on

Thanks Dozy.
Almost a one-off when Macmillan was outdone by another dic (the OALD) on which I capitalized by picking up 'go one better (than somebody/something)'. If I said, "You would think Nigel Adkins would love to go one better with Reading than with Southampton.", would it imply the same just put differently?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 14:44 pm   to get one over on

It's not really the same. "You would think Nigel Adkins would love to go one better with Reading than with Southampton" means that he would love to achieve more as manager of Reading than he did as manager of Southampton. It is not specifically about gaining advantage over Southampton or winning a match against Southampton.

By the way Eugene, sorry if I've asked before and forgotten, but for interest whereabouts in the world are you?
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 14:57 pm   to get one over on

Yes, I can see the difference in the two meanings now (the latter probably giving deeper satisfaction to him as manager). -;)

You've not asked Dozy, it's Kiev, Ukraine, perhaps a two-hour flight away..
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:42 pm   to get one over on

Hmm, I think we (= England) are playing you again in the autumn, right? Hopefully we can do a bit better than last time...
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #8 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:40 pm   to get one over on

Dozy wrote:
Hmm, I think we (= England) are playing you again in the autumn, right? Hopefully we can do a bit better than last time...

Yes, I wouldn't mind it surpassing the previous encounter to end in a 3-3. Come on England/Ukraine!
What is nagging me at the moment though, is: "Tottenham v Everton. Both sides missing players, got 1-1 written all over it." "Written all over it" means the result predicted is supposedly due to the approximately equal losses in both teams?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

to get one over on #9 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:54 pm   to get one over on

1-1 is strongly predicted/expected. This prediction seems to be associated with the fact that both sides are missing players, though I don't personally understand why that should lead to a 1-1 scoreline.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

knowledge or knowledges? | as the company is know
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downSubject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and NounTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' QuestionsBracketed second letter of word?as in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPMaintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]baby's coming/birthfail in the exam vs. fail the examback then: back is a verb