Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to impede; to obstruct; to hinder; to meddle
pretend
margin
interfere
tie
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Past perfect vs. Past simple | Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand
listening exercises
Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 17:39 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Hi teachers,
Would 'maintain this information in your memory' be an appropriate definition for 'remember' in the following context?
Information: Mr. White is the owner of the bookstore.
Context:
Mrs. Elsie: Mr. White, has my book of A History of Germany come in yet? Because I've been waiting for my book for two weeks and Peter, your bookseller, told me maximum in a week. Do you remember, (maintain this information in your memory) Peter?
Peter: Yes, I do madam.

Thanks
Readytolearn
I'm here quite often ;-)

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:34 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

It's intelligible, but "maintain" is probably not the optimum verb. I think "retain" would be better.

Some other random things:
"Elsie" is usually a first name, in which case you wouldn't say "Mrs Elsie".
Assuming "A History of Germany" is the actual name of the book, you should delete the word"of" before it.
Normally one would not repeat "my book" in the second sentence. Normally one would say "I've been waiting for it for two weeks" or just "I've been waiting for two weeks".
"told me maximum in a week" is not right. I think you mean "told me a maximum of a week".
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 18:52 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Hi Dozy,
Thanks a lot for your reply, suggestions, and corrections.
Assuming "A History of Germany" is the actual name of the book, you should delete the word"of" before it. Wow! I didn't know that. Then it should be 'A History Germany'?
Normally one would not repeat "my book" in the second sentence. Normally one would say "I've been waiting for it for two weeks" or just "I've been waiting for two weeks".
Yes, you are right! What if it is written like that just for emphasis. Could it be possible?

RtL
Readytolearn
I'm here quite often ;-)

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #4 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 19:52 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Hello RtL,

You have misunderstood what Dozy told you and omitted the wrong 'of'.
You must include the 'of' in 'A History of Germany'.
Please compare:
Mr. White, has my book of A History of Germany come in yet? - incorrect
Mr. White, has my book, "A History of Germany," come in yet?

Mr. White, has my book, "A History of Germany," come in yet? I've been waiting for it for two weeks and Peter, your bookseller, told me it would take a maximum of one week. Do you remember, Peter?
Language Coach

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #5 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:02 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Readytolearn wrote:
Normally one would say "I've been waiting for it for two weeks" or just "I've been waiting for two weeks".
Yes, you are right! What if it is written like that just for emphasis. Could it be possible?
Yes, it's possible.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #6 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:28 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Hi everybody,
I my Idea, instead of "maintain" we can use "recall". also, "retrieval" is true, but "recall" would be better
Recall the information from your memory
Asg
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?] #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 06, 2013 20:30 pm   Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]

Hi Beeesneees,
I have certainly misunderstood her. Thanks a lot for your help and comments.
I appreciate them.

RtL
Readytolearn
I'm here quite often ;-)

Past perfect vs. Past simple | Thanks in advance VERSUS Thanks beforehand
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Bracketed second letter of word?In factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPbaby's coming/birth(at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examcertain of/aboutto get one over onIntroducing to the boss for the first timeMeaning of "performance"?Arranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?]