afternoon party where a light meal is served
luncheon
mull
inspection
custom

'The Final 4' -- BP

baby's coming/birth | In factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.
'The Final 4' -- BP #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:01 am   'The Final 4' -- BP

Per British punctuation only...

I've looked in the 'Oxford Guide to Style', albeit unsuccessful in locating an answer.

I say these are correct per British style. If any are incorrect, could you let me know? I've supplied my educated guesses and the reasons under each example. All I need to know for each is 'inside' or 'outside'. I think that I have all four correctly punctuated per British style—or at least I hope so!

(1) When she said "Make sure to put the dishes in the dishwasher," her husband complied. [Comma inside the quote (as exampled) per BrE because it acts as a substitute for a full stop in this instance.]

(2) When Jack asked, "How many chances do you want me to give you?" she was bewildered. [Comma is used to introduce the quote but no comma outside the ending quote because of the existing question mark.]

(3) When Amy screamed, "Stop or I'll shoot!" the burglar fled the house. [Comma is used to introduce the quote but no comma outside the ending quote because of the existing exclamation point.]

(4) "I will never give up on my dreams," Joe said. [The comma goes inside the quote marks because it acts as a substitute for a full stop in this instance.]

Thank you kindly.
Grumpy

Subject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and NounTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' QuestionsBracketed second letter of word?Maintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?](at) any timeHow to describe the contents of agenda in an English presentation?Faulty Sentence?fail in the exam vs. fail the examcertain of/aboutto get one over onArranged an encounter at a specific time [Explanation for 'made an appointment?]Gotten out of bed [synonym for gotten up?]