Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to be adjacent to
challenge
discover
border
unveil
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Bracketed second letter of word?

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
as the company is know | Subject-verb agreement
listening exercises
Bracketed second letter of word? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 13:09 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

What do the second bracketed letters in "retreating," "the," and "to" indicate below? I've frequently encountered similar examples like these in others' writing. What exactly is meant by the use of brackets around the second letters of words?

A Southern reporter traveling with Forrest makes clear that the discrimination was deliberate: “Our troops maddened by the excitement, shot down the ret[r]eating Yankees, and not until they had attained t[h]e water’s edge and turned to beg for mercy, did any prisoners fall in [t]o our hands . . . .

Thank you.
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 13:30 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

What is the context?
It looks as if the bracketed letters were missing in the original document and the brackets show that they have been replaced in the transcript.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Start exploring the English language today! Subscribe to free email English course
Bracketed second letter of word? #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:07 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

In other words, something to this effect?

A Southern reporter traveling with Forrest makes clear that the discrimination was deliberate: “Our troops maddened by the excitement, shot down the reteating Yankees, and not until they had attained te water’s edge and turned to beg for mercy, did any prisoners fall in o our hands . . . .
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:15 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

Or:

... , did any prisoners fall in t our hands . . . .

(The 'o' might've been missing in the word 'to' in the original.)
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:22 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

Anybody agree with the bolded examples, which may explain this? How about an existing written error in transcripted text? The writer had indicated via use of bracketed letters that it didn't exist in the original, but wanted to correct the errors so the text made sense. Sound valid and logical?
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #6 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:31 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

It's more likely that the original looked like this where letters became too faded to be read:
A Southern reporter traveling with Forrest makes clear that the discrimination was deliberate: “Our troops maddened by the excitement, shot down the ret eating Yankees, and not until they had attained t e water’s edge and turned to beg for mercy, did any prisoners fall in o our hands . . . .

To know the context would be useful. I find it hard to believe that in standard writing you have 'frequently encountered similar examples'.
Language Coach

Bracketed second letter of word? #7 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:38 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

Beeesneees wrote:
It's more likely that the original looked like this where letters became too faded to be read:

I agree ... it seems unlikely to me that anyone would make the error of missing the "t" off "to", for example ... it kind of destroys the whole word. I would guess that the original was damaged or defaced or faded as Beeesneees says.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #8 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:53 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

Yes, in very old newspaper articles (that've been 'touched up' with these interpolated bracketed letters).
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Bracketed second letter of word? #9 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 15:43 pm   Bracketed second letter of word?

Then, hopefully, this has answered your question.
Language Coach

as the company is know | Subject-verb agreement
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downQuestion about Gerund and Nountree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questionsas in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPMaintain this information in your memory [Definition for remember?]baby's coming/birthto get one over onback then: back is a verb