Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

survey; review; news reporting; insurance
coverage
straight
stem
rise
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

relation/relationship

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? | Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]
listening exercises
relation/relationship #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 13:57 pm   relation/relationship

Hello!
I would really like to know what is the difference between 'relation' and 'relationship'? so the importance of this suffix: ship what does the suffix 'ship' change, in fact?
Thank you for your time!
Antonella25
I'm here quite often ;-)

relation/relationship #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:40 am   relation/relationship

The -ship suffix normally indicates a condition. Originally, the person you had a connection to was a relation, and the connection was a relationship.

Over the years, the oerson you have a connection to has become a relation only if you are members of the same family, while people have used relation as a synonym of relationship.

I can't think of any time when you can't use relation instead of relationship, although there are obviously times you cannot use relationship for relation.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
relation/relationship #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:32 am   relation/relationship

Then, what can be the difference between 'relative' and 'relation'?
I'm a Communicator ;-)

relation/relationship #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:13 am   relation/relationship

Hi THL,

The problem with these two words 'relative' and 'relation' is that they have as it were 'different lives'. 'Relative' can be both noun and adjective and 'relation' can be either a member of the family or a connection, often used in the plural. Thinking about the two words used to describe a member of the family, I would say that 'relative' suggests someone in the immediate family and 'relation' could be someone more remote. This is of course a very general distinction but you would tend to say: A close relative of the family has just got married/A distant relation of hers has just died and left her a house in the heart of the country.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

relation/relationship #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:20 am   relation/relationship

Hi THL,

The problem with these two words 'relative' and 'relation' is that they have as it were 'different lives'. 'Relative' can be both noun and adjective and 'relation' can be either a member of the family or a connection, often used in the plural. Thinking about the two words used to describe a member of the family, I would say that 'relative' suggests someone in the immediate family and 'relation' could be someone more remote. This is of course a very general distinction but you would tend to say: A close relative of the family has just got married/A distant relative of hers has just died and left her a house in the heart of the country.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

relation/relationship #6 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 15:58 pm   relation/relationship

Alan wrote:
Thinking about the two words used to describe a member of the family, I would say that 'relative' suggests someone in the immediate family and 'relation' could be someone more remote. Alan

Thank you, Alan.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? | Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
to respond to vs responding toin such areas as vs in areas such asunlessto + verb with ingSay vs.tellТорговл&How is .....?How is ....?parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downtree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorAs discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?