Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

place where one is going; the purpose for which something is destined
minority
attorney
destination
handbook
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Question about Gerund and Noun | face down or his face down or with his face down
listening exercises
Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 14:57 pm   Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

“The spirit of our American radicalism is destructive and aimless [...].”

"[...]." above indicates omission of words at the end of a sentence, and fourth dot (outside the ending bracket) is the proper terminal punctuation.

“This is beautiful country [...]”

"[...]" (minus the fourth dot outside the second bracket) indicates that the sentence deliberately trailed off; hence, no fourth dot outside the second bracket.

Are these uses of the sentence-ending bracketed ellipses correct? I would say, logically, yes.
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 15:41 pm   Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

Why would you bracket the ellipses at all?

“The spirit of our American radicalism is destructive and aimless ...”
“This is beautiful country ...”
Language Coach

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 16:35 pm   Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

Because I prefer it. Are the examples correct? Thanks.
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:11 pm   Re: Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

Strictly speaking, square brackets should be used if you have replaced words by an ellipsis, but not if the ellipsis is present in the original. However, many people would not bother with the square brackets, especially in less formal contexts.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:04 pm   Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

Could somebody just please answer the question whether the two examples are correct. I'm receiving everything but. Thank you.
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions #6 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:30 pm   Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions

Sorry, I don't know the answer -- to be honest, I'm not sure I even understand the question -- but in the second case, if the sentence "deliberately trailed off", i.e. the ellipsis was present in the original, then you should not use square brackets at all.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Question about Gerund and Noun | face down or his face down or with his face down
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Торговл&How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?parking place vs. parking spaceSubject-verb agreementtree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorAs discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?Bracketed second letter of word?as in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPto get one over on