Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

vibrations that can be detected by the human ear; noise; vocal utterance
sound
visit
nurse
divide
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

complicating/complicated factor

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
parking place vs. parking space | tree data structure vs data tree structure
listening exercises
complicating/complicated factor #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 16:30 pm   complicating/complicated factor

Perhaps the most important complicating factor is that backbone routers must operate at hight speeds, being capable of performing milions lookups per second.
I wonder why did the write use "complicating" not "complicated" in the sentence?
Is there any difference in meaning between them?

complicating/complicated factor #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:16 pm   complicating/complicated factor

"complicating" means that this factor makes something else (such as the situation in general, or the general operation or setup of the network) complicated or difficult to achieve.

"complicated" would mean that this factor itself is complicated.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
complicating/complicated factor #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 4:39 am   complicating/complicated factor

Thanks, Dozy, for clearing up my doubt!

parking place vs. parking space | tree data structure vs data tree structure
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
unlessto + verb with ingТорговл&How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?face down or his face down or with his face downHas an appearance that [definition for looks like?]Subject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and NounTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' QuestionsAs discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?relation/relationshipBracketed second letter of word?