Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to pull by force; to twist; to cut off; to distort; to pervert
issue
wrench
dismiss
content
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

tree data structure vs data tree structure

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
complicating/complicated factor | As discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?
listening exercises
tree data structure vs data tree structure #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 16:45 pm   tree data structure vs data tree structure

I know that "tree data structure" is correct but how about "data tree structure"? Is it also acceptable?

tree data structure vs data tree structure #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 18:37 pm   tree data structure vs data tree structure

Google results indicate that "tree data structure" is overwhelmingly more common:

http://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?content=tree+data+structure%2Cdata+tree+structure&year_start=1800&year_end=2000&corpus=15&smoothing=3

In many situations "tree structure" by itself may suffice. One would need to see the overall context.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: tree data structure vs data tree structure #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 am   Re: tree data structure vs data tree structure

Screen wrote:
I know that "tree data structure" is correct but how about "data tree structure"? Is it also acceptable?

This is a programming term. Comparisons are "expensive" for computers, taking a lot of CPU cycles. Binary trees are an efficient way to store data which going to be searched.

For instance, if you were trying to find a word in the dictionary, instead of reading every page until you find the word you want, you ask if the word is less than the word "nab". If it's more, you've eliminated half the dictionary to search. Next, you ask whether the word is less than "tab" and you have cut the chore of searching in half again. You can find an exact match in a 32,767 word dictionary with about 15 or 20 comparisons.If you simply did comparison of words in alphabetical order, it would take about 16,383 comparisons.

When you are designing a program, you will identify what data tree structure are appropriate. Once you are debugging the app, you might find a data corruption bug in the tree data structure.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: tree data structure vs data tree structure #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:23 am   Re: tree data structure vs data tree structure

Thanks, Dozy and Steve, for your helpful replies!

complicating/complicated factor | As discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
unlessto + verb with ingТорговл&How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downHas an appearance that [definition for looks like?]Subject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and NounTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questionsrelation/relationshipBracketed second letter of word?