Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

lasting throughout the whole year; continuing for many years; perpetual; everlasting
equivalent
anxious
perennial
audio
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Question about Gerund and Noun

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
other,the other, another, others, the others, | Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions
listening exercises
Question about Gerund and Noun #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 16:58 pm   Question about Gerund and Noun

I also have the question related to Gerund and Noun. my question is " Prices include breakfast and ..................of the pool and exercise room."
Answers are A.use B.uses C.user D.using. I chose D but the correct answer is A. I also know "use" is both noun and Verb but why can't we choose "using" in this case?
Can you help me explain?
Minh28
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Question about Gerund and Noun #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:14 pm   Question about Gerund and Noun

"(the) using of the <noun>" is often rather awkward and unnatural (albeit not always impossible), perhaps simply because the noun "use" is available. Also, in your sentence "use of" means "ability/permission/facility to use", which is not a meaning that "using of" can really have. Finally, even if "using" was acceptable here (which it isn't), it would probably have to be "the using of ..."

"the pool of exercise room" is not right. I'm not sure what was intended, whether "use of the pool in the exercise room", or "use of the pool or exercise room", or something else.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Re: Question about Gerund and Noun #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:40 pm   Re: Question about Gerund and Noun

Minh28 wrote:
Can you have me to explain this to me?

TOEIC listening, talks: Announcing the next speaker at a writers' event
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

Re: Question about Gerund and Noun #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:59 pm   Re: Question about Gerund and Noun

The 'rule' is, that when we are talking generally about situations and events, use the infinitive form.
Gerunds usually sound more like normal, spoken English, and so gerunds are used when we are speaking about a specific instance.

Your sentence, "Prices include breakfast and..." is stating the pricing policy of the hotel i.e. a general statement.

The best I can come up with for 'using' as a gerund:
I am not used to (the) using (of) bad language, but (expletive) the Town Council! If they think they can ride roughshod over me...***
Here, this is a specific situation.

***[b]ride roughshod over
: carry out one's own plans or wishes with arrogant disregard for others or their wishes.[/b]

(Why has the second half gone BOLD?)
Bazza
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: Question about Gerund and Noun #5 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:28 pm   Re: Question about Gerund and Noun

Bazza wrote:
The 'rule' is, that when we are talking generally about situations and events, use the infinitive form.
But "use" in this case is a noun, not an infinitive form.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

other,the other, another, others, the others, | Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
&#1058;&#1086;&#1088;&#1075;&#1086;&#1074;&#1083;&How is ....?parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downSubject-verb agreementtree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorAs discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?Bracketed second letter of word?as in the daysIn factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.'The Final 4' -- BPbaby's coming/birth