refusal to accept; refusal to believe; refusal to recognize
amortization
aggregate
denial
assignment

Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]

relation/relationship | What's your date of birth?
Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?] #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:28 pm   Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]

Hi teachers,
Would 'has an appearance that' be an appropriate definition for 'looks like' in the following sentence?
If that is appropriate, should it be, 'has an appearance' or 'has the appearance'?
It looks like it is going to rain.

Readytolearn

Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?] #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 19:44 pm   Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]

No - here, it has the informal meaning of 'show a likelihood of'.

It looks like it is going to rain.
It doesn't look like Paul's coming.
(to, say, a party or other gathering the speaker is at, and expected Paul to come to)
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?] #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 16:20 pm   Has an appearance that [definition for looks like?]

Bazza wrote:

It looks like it is going to rain.
It doesn't look like Paul's coming.

Hi Bazza,
Thanks a lot for your reply.

RtL
Readytolearn

There's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta saladto respond to vs responding toin such areas as vs in areas such asunlessto + verb with ingSay vs.tellТорговл&How is .....?How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?parking place vs. parking spacetree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factor