to estimate; to gauge; to evaluate; to measure
capture
mention
damage
assess

face down or his face down or with his face down

Two 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions | as in the days
face down or his face down or with his face down #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 20:08 pm   face down or his face down or with his face down

1) The man was lying face down by the side of the road.
2) The man was lying his face down by the side of the road.
3) The man was lying with his face down by the side of the road.

Which of these are correct ones?
Which of these belong to formal and which to informal English?

E2e4

Re: face down or his face down or with his face down #2 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 21:26 pm   Re: face down or his face down or with his face down

Why, in (2) and (3) is the position of the head being emphasized?

Single sentences don't give a context.

e.g. The man was lying with his face down by the side of the road. His mouth pressed into the mud, which entered the buccal cavity (=mouth) and cut off his capacity to breathe. He died, not from his injuries, but from asphyxiation.(= to die by being deprived of air)

The context here is that by his face, and so his mouth, being in that position, caused his death.
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
face down or his face down or with his face down #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 07, 2013 22:43 pm   face down or his face down or with his face down

2 ought to be puctuated:
The man was lying, his face down, by the side of the road - but as Bazza has said, it seems unusual that an emphasis would be placed on the position of his head in this way.
_________________

Торговл&How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?parking place vs. parking spaceSubject-verb agreementQuestion about Gerund and Nountree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorAs discussed above: Could you parse the phrase?relation/relationshipBracketed second letter of word?In factories stand idle huge equipment which worked at full capacity earlier.to get one over on