Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

next to; alongside
nearby
approximately
though
barely
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Торговл& | relation/relationship
listening exercises
final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:39 am   final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

Hi everyone,

I have a question regarding the phrase "take the final podium place."

For example,

Person A took the final podium place in the competition.

Does it mean the person finished third or ranked among the top three?

An American friend told me that means finishing in the top three, but in a British race news I read a few hours ago it refers to a person taking the third place podium spot.

Really confusing!

Thank you in advance for any help you may provide.

Best,

Cori
Coridong
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:04 pm   Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

The sentence contains the word 'final' = ' coming at the end of a series'.

Winner mounts first, then second place, and finally, the third place winner.

So the 'final podium place' is taken by the third place winner.
Bazza
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:48 pm   Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

Coridong wrote:
An American friend told me that means finishing in the top three, but in a British race news I read a few hours ago it refers to a person taking the third place podium spot.

Really confusing!

Both your friends basically said the same thing:

If you took the third place podium spot, then you definitely finished in the top three!
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 13:21 pm   Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

Our Tort System wrote:
Coridong wrote:

Really confusing!

Both your friends basically said the same thing:

If you took the third place podium spot, then you definitely finished in the top three!

Thank you.
Yes, I agree they basically mean the same thing. But I guess there are still some slight differences between them. Could you explain a little bit more? Thanks again.
Coridong

Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three? #5 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 13:22 pm   Re: final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?

Bazza wrote:
The sentence contains the word 'final' = ' coming at the end of a series'.

Winner mounts first, then second place, and finally, the third place winner.

So the 'final podium place' is taken by the third place winner.

I see. Thanks a lot!
Coridong

Торговл& | relation/relationship
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
to respond to vs responding toin such areas as vs in areas such asunlessto + verb with ingSay vs.tellHow is .....?How is ....?parking place vs. parking spaceface down or his face down or with his face downHas an appearance that [definition for looks like?]tree data structure vs data tree structurecomplicating/complicated factorTwo 'Bracketed Ellipses' Questions