inducement; act of convincing
persuasion
wait
affinity
plain

to + verb with ing

What's your date of birth? | unless
to + verb with ing #1 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 17:52 pm   to + verb with ing

Hello Mentors,

I am confused. Is this form corrected?

What is the best way to learning English?

The best way to learning English is to watch American soap operas.

What is the difference between

to learning
and to learn

Thank you so much,

Julius
Juliusestella

Location: Philippines

to + verb with ing #2 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 18:23 pm   to + verb with ing

It should be "best way to learn English". This is a standard pattern of "way to" + verb infinitive. If you say "best way to learning English" then you are forcing "learning English" to be a noun describing a destination. While this is not grammatically impossible, in practice it sounds like a mistake in this case. On the other hand, "What is the key to learning English?", for example, is correct, with "learning English" describing a goal or outcome. So, it all depends whether the context requires a verb infinitive or a noun phrase.
Dozy

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
to + verb with ing #3 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 18:43 pm   to + verb with ing

I see Dozy, Thank you so much again.
Juliusestella

Location: Philippines

Re: to + verb with ing #4 (permalink) Mon Apr 08, 2013 19:06 pm   Re: to + verb with ing

This...is more complicated than it seems. And I'm still sorting it out in my mind.

Start with:
The way of doing something
and then
A way to do something.

So I'm still deliberating whether this isn't the infinitive v gerund issue! Leave this with me...
BUT...in trying to jog my brain, I googled for 'way to' (and tried various verbs, wanting to substantiate what Dozy has suggested), and low and behold, this popped up, which is an excellent starter for the juices of current forum members who wish to tease this out further:

http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic25054.html
Bazza

Location: Brit, Eng

What's your date of birth? | unless
to deathThere's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta saladto respond to vs responding toin such areas as vs in areas such asSay vs.tellYahoos' writingsТорговл&How is .....?How is ....?final podium place: finish third or rank among the top three?parking place vs. parking spaceHas an appearance that [definition for looks like?]tree data structure vs data tree structure