Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

detached; disconnected; distinct; set apart
separate
administrative
staple
guilty
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
http://gendersrelationships.com | yet either
listening exercises
completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:10 am   completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

We are very proud to introduce the Pullman brand to Vietnam with the opening of Pullman Hanoi, completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country.
I would like to know how to make a complement as in the bold phrase above?
Is there any rule to choose ing-form in the verb "completing"?
Can I read the bold part as follow?
We are very proud to complete Accor's brand portfolio in the country.

completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:29 am   completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

Some of the worst writing an editor ever sees comes in the form of press releases. If the release comes from an important advertiser, it's expected that the release will be printed, but when it's written like that, one basically needs to phone the company to find out what the release is supposed to say (but doesn't.)

I wish I had all those hours back, that I spent playing telephone tag, trying to find out what they are trying to say. I'd surely be years younger.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:53 am   completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

Oh, thanks Steve!
I only want to know how to make a complement phrase as in the sentence above. :)

completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:07 am   completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

I'd be glad to help you, Screen, but I really don't understand what that sentence is saying.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:41 am   Re: completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

Screen wrote:
We are very proud to introduce the Pullman brand to Vietnam with the opening of Pullman Hanoi, completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country.

This is akin to:
We are very proud to introduce the Pullman brand to Vietnam with the opening of Pullman Hanoi
The opening of Pullman Hanoi (presumably the branch of Pullman in Hanoi) completes Accor's brand portfolio in the country.

The term 'brand portfolio' is, I presume 'business-speak' for 'the things that Accor produces/sells' and the use of 'complete' rather than 'establish' seems to indicate that Pullman is a subsidiary of Accor, and other subsidiaries of Accor (plus the main company) are already well-established in Vietnam.
Language Coach

Re: completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:26 am   Re: completing Accor's brand portfolio in the country

Yes, I understood.
Thanks a lot, Steve and Beeesneees!

http://gendersrelationships.com | yet either
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
the same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similalet me know the correct answersyour or theirrun away withI would hope that demonstrationsThe revolting forces were just barely held at bay.I'll just have out with it?is there anything wrong with this sentence?springtime of painstart offThe doctor's presentationto deathThere's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta salad