to reveal; to uncover; to disclose; to abandon
finalize
expose
procure
major

Most things vs. most of the things

Rednecks are farmers in the US, right? | I think that both "throw a party" and "come a party" make...
Most things vs. most of the things #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 14, 2006 14:50 pm   Most things vs. most of the things

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", question 8

Deborah: Believe me he's a really wonderful dog and can do ......... things that people do.

(a) much
(b) more
(c) most
(d) lots

ESL/EFL Test #57 "Chit Chat: At the pub", answer 8

Deborah: Believe me he's a really wonderful dog and can do most things that people do.

Correct answer: (c) most

Deborah: Believe me he's a really wonderful dog and can do much things that people do.
_________________________

Isn't MOST goes after THE?? Kindly advise. Thanks.
ronaldo

Most things vs. most of the things #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 14, 2006 22:01 pm   Most things vs. most of the things

Hi Ronaldo, please take a look at the following combinations:

He can do most of the things people do.
He can do many things people do.

TOEIC listening, photographs: At the packing station

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Most things vs. most of the things #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 15, 2006 14:21 pm   Most things vs. most of the things

.
The precedes most when we are using superlative forms of adjectives and adverbs: the most happily married man, the most intelligent woman, etc.

Here however, most = the greater number of + noun: most things are expensive, most people are kind, etc.

Another way used for specific nouns, as Torsten has indicated, is most of the + noun: most of the things here are expensive, most of the people in America are kind.

In any case, much will not work with countable nouns like things; it is used for uncountables: much labour is repetitive, much of the labour at our office is repetitive.
.
_________________

Most things vs. most of the things #4 (permalink) Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:06 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Torsten wrote:

He can do most of the things people do.
He can do many things people do.

Dear Mr. Torsten

you are absolutely right but the question is why option is showing just "most" instead of "most of"

If I am not wrong the options should be "most of" despite of "most" isn't it??? :idea:

for instance;

most of the people like to drink cofee.

most of the people like raining season...

most of the things are very expensive at this shop/in this shopping mall.

most of the things are really very beautiful of this show room.

Did I get it right?
Misskhan

Location: Lahore, Pakistan

Most things vs. most of the things #5 (permalink) Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:17 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Torsten wrote:

He can do most of the things people do.
He can do many things people do.

Dear Torsten,

I still didn't get it: can you say most things? Or most of the things is the only correct answer? If both are right, then what's the difference?
Thank you
Tufelki2

Most #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 31, 2010 14:52 pm   Most

most of the people like to drink cofee. (CORRECT=Most people like to drink coffee [people in general, no "of the"])

most of the people like raining season... (CORRECT=Most people like the rainy season [people in general, no "of the"])

most of the things are very expensive at this shop/in this shopping mall. CORRECT (although I would write "Most of the things in this shop/mall are very expensive).

most of the things are really very beautiful of this show room. CORRECT (although I would write "Most of the things in this show room are very beautiful").

When you are being specific, use THE. Another reason to use this is because it is the noun in the prepositional phrase after "Most" that determines the verb: You can say "Most of the items WERE stolen ('were' goes with 'items', which is plural). OR you can say "Most of the money WAS stolen (money is noncoount).

Does that help?
Couponhomme

Most things vs. most of the things #7 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:29 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Most means very many or much while most of means a great deal or number of.
_________________
Let my English be checked!
Wanderer

Location: Where wanderers and vagabonds usually live

Most things vs. most of the things #8 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 13:03 pm   Most things vs. most of the things

Hai friends,
good eve to every body..
Most of the days I cant read forums continuously.
So I have more breaks in forum reading and have much ideas to write forums.
The most popular persons was am I?
Its all correct..and I want more sentences for the use of much and more
Pappu

Location: Gazihabad

Most things vs. most of the things #9 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:32 am   Most things vs. most of the things

oh! my goodness now I'm the most confused with all the explanations about "most of the" or only "most" Please coaches tell me if Couponhomme's explanation is correct or which one is the correct, thank you.
Lourdes

Location: Guatemala

Most things vs. most of the things #10 (permalink) Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:19 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Hi Lourdes,

Let's start again.

Most people think that driving after drinking alcohol is dangerous.

This means that the majority of people (in general) think this.

Most of the people in this room are over thirty years old.

This means the majority of the people in this room (not in general - just those people) are over thirty years old.

Any better?

_________________

Most things vs. most of the things #11 (permalink) Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:23 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Hi Alan:

Thank you it is clearer so far. Excellent explanation!!!
Lourdes

Location: Guatemala

Most/Most of #12 (permalink) Mon Aug 02, 2010 15:06 pm   Most/Most of

Lourdes,
I wouldn't have given you an incorrect answer. :(
Couponhomme

Most things vs. most of the things #13 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:23 am   Most things vs. most of the things

Hello Alan, I am wondering why I can't use the word LOTS in the test 57 , HE CAN DO LOTS THINGS THAT PEAPLE DO. may you please explain it ? thank you
_________________
Leaning everyday, happy everyday
Newhinge

Location: Shanghai China

Most things vs. most of the things #14 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:24 am   Most things vs. most of the things

_________________
Leaning everyday, happy everyday
Newhinge

Location: Shanghai China

Most things vs. most of the things #15 (permalink) Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:25 am   Most things vs. most of the things

_________________
Leaning everyday, happy everyday
Newhinge

Location: Shanghai China

extremely adepta goody two-shoeswhat does cover refer to?Bill's wife is mutton dressed as lamb?What does 'nest egg' stand for?Meaning of the idiom 'completely foxed"Is infestation countable?Who was Jack o'Lanterns?wind directionnewspaper circulationmany hands make light workhave they?Turn on vs Switch on