to reveal; to uncover; to disclose; to abandon
finalize
expose
procure
major

springtime of pain

Yahoos' writings | The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.
springtime of pain #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 17:51 pm   springtime of pain

"THE springtime of pain went on for Sir Alex Ferguson here last night".
The sentence follows the title of the article: "Sir Alex Ferguson's pain all to Manchester City's gain"
--Which I interpret: 1)the title is a variation on a "no pain, no gain" (here: SAF's great effort to take revenge failed on that particular occasion),
2): "springtime of pain" sending us back to the last season when his team switched their good run to a shuffle with the advance of spring.
Do these stand a chance?
Eugene2114

springtime of pain #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 20:24 pm   springtime of pain

1) I don't see that "Sir Alex Ferguson's pain all to Manchester City's gain" is much related to the expression "no pain no gain". Both make play of the fact that "pain" and "gain" rhyme, but that's about it.

2) In "springtime of pain", I don't see any particular reference to events of last season. I think it's just saying that Man Utd are having a "painful" spring in terms of bad results.
Dozy

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
run away withhttp://gendersrelationships.comyet eitherI'll just have out with it?is there anything wrong with this sentence?start offThe doctor's presentationto deathThere's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta saladto respond to vs responding tocompleting Accor's brand portfolio in the countryin such areas as vs in areas such asrequest by or request from?