Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

passage; walkway (between rows of seats or shelves)
establishment
table
triangle
aisle
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
springtime of pain | I'll just have out with it?
listening exercises
The revolting forces were just barely held at bay. #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:59 pm   The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

What is the meaning of the above sentence?
Reading Comprehension
I'm here quite often ;-)

The revolting forces were just barely held at bay. #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 20:50 pm   The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

"revolting forces" = forces (probably military forces or similar) who were "revolting", that is, trying to overthrow a ruler. (Care is needed when using "revolting" like this because the common meaning of "repulsive / extremely unpleasant" tends to dominate.)

"held at bay" = kept at a safe distance; prevented from succeeding in their attack ("hold at bay" is a set expression)
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
springtime of pain | I'll just have out with it?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
run away withhttp://gendersrelationships.comyet eitheris there anything wrong with this sentence?start offThe doctor's presentationto deathThere's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta saladWhich ones shall I bring vs. Which ones should I bring?to respond to vs responding tocompleting Accor's brand portfolio in the countryin such areas as vs in areas such asrequest by or request from?