passage; walkway (between rows of seats or shelves)
establishment
table
triangle
aisle

The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

springtime of pain | I'll just have out with it?
The revolting forces were just barely held at bay. #1 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 19:59 pm   The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

What is the meaning of the above sentence?
Reading Comprehension

The revolting forces were just barely held at bay. #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 09, 2013 20:50 pm   The revolting forces were just barely held at bay.

"revolting forces" = forces (probably military forces or similar) who were "revolting", that is, trying to overthrow a ruler. (Care is needed when using "revolting" like this because the common meaning of "repulsive / extremely unpleasant" tends to dominate.)

"held at bay" = kept at a safe distance; prevented from succeeding in their attack ("hold at bay" is a set expression)
Dozy

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
run away withhttp://gendersrelationships.comyet eitheris there anything wrong with this sentence?start offThe doctor's presentationto deathThere's cold lamb and pasta salad vs. There's some cold lamb and pasta saladWhich ones shall I bring vs. Which ones should I bring?to respond to vs responding tocompleting Accor's brand portfolio in the countryin such areas as vs in areas such asrequest by or request from?