slice; part; segment; creation; work
piece
feed
van
medium

I would hope that demonstrations

let me know the correct answers | your or their
I would hope that demonstrations #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:47 am   I would hope that demonstrations

"I would hope that demonstrations like this would pass off peacefully," Merkel told public broadcaster SWR. "This must always be tried, and anything that leads to violence must be avoided."
To be true, I still have problems in understanding of using "would" in a sentence. In the sentence above, are "would"s used because this is only an expectation not in reality?
What is really the difference in meaning between the sentence above and the one bellow?
"I hope that demonstrations like this will pass off peacefully," Merkel told public broadcaster SWR. "This must always be tried, and anything that leads to violence must be avoided."
_________________
Practice makes perfect.
Screen

I would hope that demonstrations #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:04 pm   I would hope that demonstrations

"would" makes the sentence less direct and more tentative/hypothetical.
Dozy

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
I would hope that demonstrations #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:33 pm   I would hope that demonstrations

Dozy,
Can I say? :
"I hope that demonstrations like this would pass off peacefully and anything that leads to violence must be avoided."
Is it OK grammatically? Is it meaningful?
Allifathima

I would hope that demonstrations #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:44 pm   I would hope that demonstrations

On reading it, one is somewhat led to expect that the part following "and" will be another hope. This causes slight awkwardness when it turns out not to be the case. I think a comma before "and" would benefit the sentence, or perhaps it would be better to start a new sentence with "Anything".
Dozy

grandstand finishComma After 'That'?Parallel Structureacquaint withthe same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similaambiguous sentencesrun away withto be forced from somethinghttp://gendersrelationships.comyet eitherstart offparticiple vs. bare infinitiveDefinition on Might/May [Which one is more appropriate?]