Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

somewhat
part
inclusive
coordinate
global
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Definition on Might/May [Which one is more appropriate?] | Waters
listening exercises
Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 6:54 am   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

Some of the protestors, who numbered around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire, police said.
Is "number" here used as a linking verb?
Is there a change in meaning if I rewrite the sentence as follows?
Some of the protestors, who was around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire, police said.

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:17 am   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

It should be 'were' not 'was' (plural).
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 14:02 pm   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

Beeesneees,
1. "Some of the protestors, who numbered around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire, police said."
Is this sentence correct grammatically or not?
2. "Some of the protestors, who were around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire, police said."
Is this sentence #2 preferable to #1 - sentence? or vice-versa ?
Allifathima
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 15:46 pm   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

I think the original sentence posed no problems of ambiguity.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:47 pm   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

Punctuation errors:
1. "Some of the protestors, who numbered around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire," police said.

2. "Some of the protestors, who were around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire," police said. - ambiguous. Two thousand what?
Language Coach

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #6 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:53 pm   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

Beeesneees wrote:
Punctuation errors:
2. "Some of the protestors, who were around 2,000, launched fireworks, threw bottles and set rubbish containers on fire," police said. - ambiguous. Two thousand what?

Two thousand what? Two thousand in number (which is implied from the context, Bev)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #7 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 19:23 pm   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

No, it isn't.
They could have been around 2000 years old as far as I can see.
Language Coach

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #8 (permalink) Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 am   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

Beeesneees wrote:
No, it isn't.
They could have been around 2000 years old as far as I can see.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought 2,000-year-olds were unlikely to be engaging in such behavior.
SteveThomas
I'm here quite often ;-)

Is "number" here used as a linking verb? #9 (permalink) Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:31 am   Is "number" here used as a linking verb?

To think beyond 100 - 120 in terms of human age is just funny and unreasonable. For argument's sake we may do so. Though we cannot overlook the context, which plays a decisive role in facilitating the comprehensibility of an idea expressed, the addition of 'in number' in the sentence in question would have clarified the position and avoided the ambiguity. Thanks, however, for indicating the possibility of a different interpretation.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Definition on Might/May [Which one is more appropriate?] | Waters
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
change of attitudeBoard and lodgingPunctuationThe probability of more than one simultaneous collision is too low to be considerdo me a favora raft of qualifiersgrandstand finishThe attached files or The attached fileComma After 'That'?Parallel Structureacquaint withambiguous sentencesyour or their