Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

from above; above; in the sky
especially
overhead
downward
fine
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

ambiguous sentences

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
your or their | Comma After 'That'?
listening exercises
ambiguous sentences #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:02 pm   ambiguous sentences

1) I was met at the door by a Chinese man in a suit who ran down the steps laughing.

Do we miss ", and" before "laughing"?

2) I was met at the door by a Chinese man, in a suit, running down the steps, laughing.

Is it possible to use #2 to substitute #1? What would be grammar problems with #2?

3) I was met at the door by a Chinese man in a suit, running down the steps, laughing.

Would #3 mean that I was running down the steps, laughing or the Chinese man?

4) I was met at the door by a Chinese man who was in a suit, running down the steps, laughing.

Is #4 less ambiguous?

5) I was met at the door by a Chinese man - in a suit, running down the steps, laughing.

Is 5 good enough? Not ambiguous.

6) At the door, I was met by a Chinese man, in a suit, running down, laughing.

Does fronting "at the door" guaranty it wasn't me who was in a suit, running down, laughing?

Thanks
E2e4
I'm a Communicator ;-)

ambiguous sentences #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:40 pm   ambiguous sentences

1. There should not be an 'and'
2. Too many commas break the phrases up in an unnatural way.
3. the man
4. No ambiguity - it's definitely the suit that was running down the steps! 5 is even worse.
6. See (2).
'fronting at the door' doesn't make sense to me so I can't answer your question sorry.
Language Coach

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
your or their | Comma After 'That'?
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Watersgrandstand finishParallel Structureacquaint withthe same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similalet me know the correct answersrun away withto be forced from somethingIs "number" here used as a linking verb?I would hope that demonstrationsyet eitherstart offparticiple vs. bare infinitive