Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

defect; imperfection; crack; strong gust or wind
flaw
dispatch
estimate
enrichment
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

acquaint with

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
participle vs. bare infinitive | Parallel Structure
listening exercises
acquaint with #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:25 pm   acquaint with

Hi,
While reading a catalogue, I stumbled on a couple of expressions which pricked my ears: “… You can acquaint with the assortment of their products at the fair. Here belong office supplies, … paper, etc.”
--I wouldn’t say, “You can acquaint with…”. “Here belong” looks like it doesn’t belong there either. How about, “You can acquaint yourself with…,namely,..”? How else could you rephrase it (but should you really)?
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

acquaint with #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:58 pm   acquaint with

"You can acquaint with..." does not sound right to me in modern English (it may be an older style). Normally it should be "You can acquaint yourself with", as you say. This is a somewhat formal expression, though, and it may not be the best fit in this context.

"Here belong..." seems out of place. Your suggestion of "..., namely ..." reads better. Again, though, this is quite a formal pattern and is not exactly snappy advertising copy.
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Re: acquaint with #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:17 pm   Re: acquaint with

When you say 'I am acquainted with the assortment of their products at the fair' you are right.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

acquaint with #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:48 pm   acquaint with

'I am acquainted with the assortment of their products (which can be) found at the fair.
Language Coach

acquaint with #5 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 17:56 pm   acquaint with

Beeesneees wrote:
'I am acquainted with the assortment of their products (which can be) found at the fair.

Yes, "I am acquainted with the assortment of their products found/displayed at the fair."
The original sentences were just examples of a not-so-impressive piece of translation into English (which circulated in certain amounts through booklets at an exhibition).
Eugene2114
I'm a Communicator ;-)

participle vs. bare infinitive | Parallel Structure
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
WatersPunctuationThe probability of more than one simultaneous collision is too low to be considera raft of qualifiersgrandstand finishComma After 'That'?the same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similaambiguous sentenceslet me know the correct answersyour or theirto be forced from somethingIs "number" here used as a linking verb?I would hope that demonstrations