Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

bothersome; troublesome; worrisome; harassing
curious
annoying
general
inanimate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Parallel Structure

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
acquaint with | Possessives of Song Titles in Quotes
listening exercises
Parallel Structure #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 13:43 pm   Parallel Structure

Hi.

In order to achieve a perfectly parallel structure in the following sentence, do we need to include the word also after the word but below?

1. Through our books and journals programs, we seek not only to advance scholarly conversation within and across traditional disciplines but to help define new areas of knowledge and intellectual endeavor.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If we have a parenthetical insertion after the word but in the sentence below, do we technically need to include also after the word tradition?

2. Through our books and journals programs, we seek not only to advance scholarly conversation within and across traditional disciplines but, in keeping with the university's experimental tradition, to help define new areas of knowledge and intellectual endeavor.

Thank you.

All the best,

Grumpy
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Parallel Structure #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 18:03 pm   Parallel Structure

For me, that sentence reads better with "also". I don't see why the parenthetical insertion should make any difference. In the second sentence, I think I would put "also" after "but".
Dozy
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
acquaint with | Possessives of Song Titles in Quotes
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
WatersPunctuationThe probability of more than one simultaneous collision is too low to be considerdo me a favora raft of qualifiersgrandstand finishComma After 'That'?the same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similaambiguous sentenceslet me know the correct answersyour or theirto be forced from somethingIs "number" here used as a linking verb?