Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

universe; empty area; gap; area; interval
construction
documentation
choice
space
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Comma After 'That'?

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
ambiguous sentences | participle vs. bare infinitive
listening exercises
Comma After 'That'? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 14:07 pm   Comma After 'That'?

Are the commas correctly placed after 'that' in the following sentences? If you remove the phrase set off by commas, the sentence still flows logically and makes sense, although this information may be essential to the sentences' meaning. Do you agree with the commas after 'that'? I say 'yes'.

Maryanne said that, in 1969, she and her husband were married in Lancashire, England.

Gertrude said that, despite the circumstances involved, she and her husband were still going to get a divorce.

Please be advised that, on this date, the plant was evacuated because of a bomb threat.

Please be advised that, on Thursday, 4 May 2013 at 3 pm, there will be a budget meeting at Town Hall.

Thank you.
Grumpy
I'm here quite often ;-)

Re: Comma After 'That'? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 15:34 pm   Re: Comma After 'That'?

A comma after the conjunction (relative pronoun) 'that' is okay, but it is not proper to put it before 'that'.
----------
Please be advised that, on Thursday, 4 May 2013 at 3 pm, there will be a budget meeting at Town Hall.

Please be advised that there will be a budget meeting at the Town Hall at 3 pm on Thursday, May 4, 2013 would, in my opinion, be more acceptable.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Comma After 'That'? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:45 pm   Comma After 'That'?

I'm happy with the originals, though agree that some of them are unnecessary and prefer THL's suggestion.
Language Coach

Comma After 'That'? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:55 pm   Comma After 'That'?

Thank you, Bev.
I'm a Communicator ;-)

ambiguous sentences | participle vs. bare infinitive
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
WatersPunctuationgrandstand finishParallel Structureacquaint withthe same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similalet me know the correct answersyour or theirrun away withto be forced from somethingIs "number" here used as a linking verb?I would hope that demonstrationsstart off