universe; empty area; gap; area; interval
construction
documentation
choice
space

Comma After 'That'?

ambiguous sentences | participle vs. bare infinitive
Comma After 'That'? #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 14:07 pm   Comma After 'That'?

Are the commas correctly placed after 'that' in the following sentences? If you remove the phrase set off by commas, the sentence still flows logically and makes sense, although this information may be essential to the sentences' meaning. Do you agree with the commas after 'that'? I say 'yes'.

Maryanne said that, in 1969, she and her husband were married in Lancashire, England.

Gertrude said that, despite the circumstances involved, she and her husband were still going to get a divorce.

Please be advised that, on this date, the plant was evacuated because of a bomb threat.

Please be advised that, on Thursday, 4 May 2013 at 3 pm, there will be a budget meeting at Town Hall.

Grumpy

Re: Comma After 'That'? #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 15:34 pm   Re: Comma After 'That'?

A comma after the conjunction (relative pronoun) 'that' is okay, but it is not proper to put it before 'that'.
----------

Please be advised that there will be a budget meeting at the Town Hall at 3 pm on Thursday, May 4, 2013 would, in my opinion, be more acceptable.
_________________
Anglophile
I know only one thing - that is that I know nothing.
Anglophile

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Comma After 'That'? #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:45 pm   Comma After 'That'?

I'm happy with the originals, though agree that some of them are unnecessary and prefer THL's suggestion.
_________________

Comma After 'That'? #4 (permalink) Wed Apr 10, 2013 16:55 pm   Comma After 'That'?

Thank you, Bev.
_________________
Anglophile
Anglophile

WatersPunctuationgrandstand finishParallel Structureacquaint withthe same number of louis vuitton stitches louis vuitton will be found in similalet me know the correct answersyour or theirrun away withto be forced from somethingIs "number" here used as a linking verb?I would hope that demonstrationsstart off