Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

goal; aim; intention; objective
loan
payment
purpose
expansion
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

He's really trustworthy

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of pets | critical acclaim
listening exercises
He's really trustworthy #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 25, 2013 9:44 am   He's really trustworthy

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #590 "Real Life: Personalities (1)", question 4

Every year, we give our house keys to our good friends when we go on our family vacation. My husband has known the husband, Dave, since they were kids and he waters our plants and makes sure that everything is OK while we're away. He's really .......... Otherwise, I wouldn't trust him with our home.

(a) outgoing
(b) trustworthy
(c) artistic
(d) confident

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #590 "Real Life: Personalities (1)", answer 4

Every year, we give our house keys to our good friends when we go on our family vacation. My husband has known the husband, Dave, since they were kids and he waters our plants and makes sure that everything is OK while we're away. He's really trustworthy. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust him with our home.

Correct answer: (b) trustworthy

Your answer was: incorrect
Every year, we give our house keys to our good friends when we go on our family vacation. My husband has known the husband, Dave, since they were kids and he waters our plants and makes sure that everything is OK while we're away. He's really confident. Otherwise, I wouldn't trust him with our home.

Hi Teachers,

I don't understand why "trustworthy" is correct here when judjing by the last statement she doesn't trust him?

Thank you,
Vladimir.

He's really trustworthy #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:13 am   He's really trustworthy

The last statement expresses an implied condition: "I wouldn't trust him, if he weren't so trustworthy (deserving of her trust)".

If it was "I won't/don't trust him with our home", then it would indeed sound contradictory to "he's really trustworthy".
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Otherwise... #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 25, 2013 10:17 am   Otherwise...

Oh, thank you! I didn't know the correct interpretation of otherwise...

Meaning of pets | critical acclaim
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
worse vs. the worstHis driving scares me a lot.f you choose a bold color for your walls, you should choose some, soft, neutral..Not Mark, though -- he truly loves peopleThe challenge is to perfect interpersonal skillsTest incompl/advan-589, Question 6Test incompl/advan-589, User's Answer 6to this dayCurt is so egotistical. He always brags about how smart he is and about how...What does collocation mean?land vs leavevocabularies vs salariesMeaning of 'one track mind'