person or thing that is the same
equal
estate
work
policy

Do damage with the car vs. do damage to the car

pay a toll | Successful vs. success
Do damage with the car vs. do damage to the car #1 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:34 am   Do damage with the car vs. do damage to the car

ESL/EFL Test #97 "Common English phrases with prepositions", question 1

I had a crash yesterday afternoon. Fortunately I didn't do too much damage ......... my car.

(a) with
(b) in
(c) about
(d) to

ESL/EFL Test #97 "Common English phrases with prepositions", answer 1

I had a crash yesterday afternoon. Fortunately I didn't do too much damage to my car.

Correct answer: (d) to

I had a crash yesterday afternoon. Fortunately I didn't do too much damage with my car.
_________________________

Why not with? Teddy
Teddy

To/with #2 (permalink) Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:39 am   To/with

The car has damage done to it - it receives the damage. It is not being used as a device for causing damage.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Do damage with the car vs. do damage to the car #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 13, 2011 19:35 pm   Do damage with the car vs. do damage to the car

Thanks Alan.
I always like your comments.
Alshaboti

Location: Yemen

pay a toll | Successful vs. success
What is the difference between beer and wine?Which is correct?knock myself out = to lose consciousness, to pass out?This country has now adaptedWhat does 'shrub' mean?reluctancedifference between "pool" and "collect"it is important to considerNeverYou couldn't get a cigarette paper in between them?Meaning of "iron out"Why use "distinction" in this sentence?meaning of 'process of accounting for depreciation'