of great worth; costly; cherished; dear; important
valuable
fraudulent
downtown
practical

"the" + superlative

Mean + gerund | How many times have you been to France?
"the" + superlative #1 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:02 am   "the" + superlative

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "At the Finance Company Again", question 8

I guess a strangest thing that happened to me at work was when a man phoned to tell me he had found a million Euro in a paper bag lying on the pavement.

(a) a
(b) to
(c) lying

English Error, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #12 "At the Finance Company Again", answer 8

I guess the strangest thing that happened to me at work was when a man phoned to tell me he had found a million Euro in a paper bag lying on the pavement.

Correct entry: the
The error was: (a) a

You have not found the error.
I guess a strangest thing that happened to me at work was when a man phoned to tell me he had found a million Euro in a paper bag laying on the pavement.
_________________________

Why can't use "a"?

Thai Binh
Thai Binh

"the" + superlative #2 (permalink) Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:39 am   "the" + superlative

Hi Thai Binh

The adjective strange is used in the superlative form (strangest) in the sentence. With the superlative form you always use the:

strange - stranger - the strangest

If the sentence had used the word strange instead of strangest, then you could have used "a".

"A strange thing happened yesterday. In fact, it was one of the strangest things that ever happened to me."
_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "doodle"Idiom "hear me out"Difference between 'intention' and 'purpose'Why do we say refunded and not returned?Meaning of "second helping"Shown vs. provedExpressions with prepositionsMeaning of "let somebody down"Most commonly used prepositionsMeaning of "abroad"Bugler vs. burglarWhich account do you assign? (Accounting terms)Expression: as quick as a flash