Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

coins and paper notes which have value; currency; medium of trade; wealth
example
lifestyle
money
clerk
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

You belong to me or you belong with me

ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Why are addressing Alan with "Dear Sir"? | 'A year earlier' could be 'Earlier than any given date'
listening exercises
You belong to me or you belong with me #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 am   You belong to me or you belong with me

Which is gramatically correct, "you belong to me or you belong with me...i often read that from song lyrics but don't know the difference or which one is correct.
Mishy
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Belong #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:47 am   Belong

Hi Mishy,

Belong to has the sense of being owned by as in: This house belongs to me - I own it. Belong with suggests being part of a number or group as in: This writer belongs with the so-called Romatic poets of the 19th century.

In the sense you are quoting from songs belong with me suggests you are part of my group of friends.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Why are addressing Alan with "Dear Sir"? | 'A year earlier' could be 'Earlier than any given date'
ESL Forum | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Phrasal verbs: Take vs. BringMeaning of GMTAffect vs effect2 nights from nowContent vs contentsI did it yesterday night VERSUS I did it last nightThe night before lastMeaning of "Dry run"'The quick brown fox…' : Articles in proverbsIdiom: barely off the dockOfficial e-mailSince as an adverbWhether or not