coins and paper notes which have value; currency; medium of trade; wealth
example
lifestyle
money
clerk

You belong to me or you belong with me

Why are addressing Alan with "Dear Sir"? | 'A year earlier' could be 'Earlier than any given date'
You belong to me or you belong with me #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:42 am   You belong to me or you belong with me

Which is gramatically correct, "you belong to me or you belong with me...i often read that from song lyrics but don't know the difference or which one is correct.
Mishy

Belong #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:47 am   Belong

Hi Mishy,

Belong to has the sense of being owned by as in: This house belongs to me - I own it. Belong with suggests being part of a number or group as in: This writer belongs with the so-called Romatic poets of the 19th century.

In the sense you are quoting from songs belong with me suggests you are part of my group of friends.

_________________

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Phrasal verbs: Take vs. BringMeaning of GMTAffect vs effect2 nights from nowContent vs contentsI did it yesterday night VERSUS I did it last nightThe night before lastMeaning of "Dry run"'The quick brown fox…' : Articles in proverbsIdiom: barely off the dockOfficial e-mailSince as an adverbWhether or not