place; location; area
site
town
store
bother

At the hospital or in the hospital

Quote: You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has... | Are these noun phrases too difficult to explain?
At the hospital or in the hospital #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:06 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

Which preposition fits the the sentence I was visiting my sister in/at the hospital?
Mishy

At the hospital or in the hospital #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:25 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

They are both pretty acceptable. At the hospital suggests that you were meeting within the entire hospital grounds, where as in the hospital referrs to inside the actual building itself.
Zantor

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
At the hospital or in the hospital #3 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:40 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

Thanks, Zantor.
Mishy

At the hospital or in the hospital #4 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:18 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

Hi mishy

By the way, in hospital can also be used without preposition when we say generally and don't mean any particular 'building' :)

She has been in hospital for a week.
_________________
It’s impossible to learn swimming without entering the water…
Tamara

At the hospital or in the hospital #5 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:49 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

Tamara wrote:
Hi mishy

She has been in hospital for a week.

Yes, that's one of the differences between British English and American English.
In the US it would be "She has been in the hospital for a week." ;)
_________________

At the hospital or in the hospital #6 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:38 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

You wrote:

They are both pretty acceptable. At the hospital suggests that you were meeting within the entire hospital grounds, whereas in the hospital referrs to inside the actual building itself.

What is the differenc in meaning btw inside and within?

In my dictionary, within = inside :?

Quoc
Tung Quoc

At the hospital or in the hospital #7 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:43 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

I meant the difference between the actual buildings and the entire hospital grounds.
Zantor

Within/inside #8 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:47 am   Within/inside

Yes, in a small dictionary they would probably be regarded as synonyms.

_________________

At the hospital or in the hospital #9 (permalink) Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:04 am   At the hospital or in the hospital

Tamara wrote:
By the way, in hospital can also be used without preposition.

You must have meant 'without the article', Tamara. :)

Use of preposition onPhrase: "Just about"Afraid of/to"the girl(')s' books" have the same pronunciation?Passive vs. active voiceCompound nouns (business people vs. businesspeople)Modifier "Any"'Referred to' versus 'Referred as'A collective noun OF dragons :)Mechanisms in the brain...Meaning of "Put down"Phrasal verbs: Take vs. BringCar (s) - I have no car[s]