trait; feature; ability; distinguishing quality; attribute
shortage
periodical
characteristic
consistency

Noise was used with the sense of rumours

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Idiom: to live off one's pay | Aren't the words 'early to bed, etc.' termed to be a phrase?
Noise was used with the sense of rumours #16 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:43 am   Noise was used with the sense of rumours

Hi Amy!

I think, I don?t need to pull your leg at any point and I?m surely not capable of argueing with you about the meaning of any English words.

But like you mentioned Haihao?s sentence is certainly a figurative/philosophical one. For me it might be a recommend from a proficient person to another not so proficient when the 2nd person tries to achieve a goal, aim or target. Something like this: To become a horseman is a hard work and a never ending process of learning (long lane). The straightest way to achieve this goal is to learn from your horse and not to listen to any false prophets (has no turning)! But if I think that trough the right way I could add: no matter how much you?ll learn you?ll never be perfect (no end). And then you?re right referring to an infinite lane.

And you?re right, too, when you say: It?s difficult to explain. :roll:

Just some thoughts

Michael
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Noise was used with the sense of rumours #17 (permalink) Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:57 am   Noise was used with the sense of rumours

Hi Amy,

To me, your interpretation is more than convincible and reasonable. When I hit on this phrase yesterday, I really had no idea how to make it a sensible one. Your 'there are no never-ending roads' let the scales fell from my eyes. Now I can compare it with those long roads in US. They all seemed to me with no turns nor ends at first when I was on them (ex. Route 64 :o ). But they do have ends, to my great relief! In fact, no matter what they look like or how long they can be, as long as defined as roads, they are doomed to have turns and/or ends. So now I have come to see the original phrase to such an effect as: 'Although the no-turning lane is a long one and seems to last forever, don't worry, it will definitely end at last, so keep up!' Also, I don't believe there are any human-made roads without turns or ends either, except those reckless ones such as my endless road for better English.

Thank you again, Amy, for your endless and priceless help.
haihao
Haihao

Location: Japan

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Become weaker vs. lose standardsWhat is the difference between "whom" and "who"?Be able to inspire VERSUS be able to inspiringExpression: to be up for somethingIdiom: face the musicIn home versus at homeMeaning of 'non-refundable'Idioms: sink one's teeth into VERSUS get one's teeth intoResource material for this battery of exercisesMeaning of "clammed up"Fantasize vs imagine'didn't have a bean' = 'had no money'?'made a scene' = 'had a fight'?