to predict; to prophesy; to foretell
assign
apply
advert
foresee

Phrasal verbs: Take vs. Bring

Affect vs effect | Meaning of "Dry run"
Phrasal verbs: Take vs. Bring #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:23 am   Phrasal verbs: Take vs. Bring

Hi All,

I give a laptop to my colleague and he should travel to another city and give it (laptop) to my friend there.

How to say?

He brings the laptop to my friend
He takes the laptop to my friend
He carry the laptop to my friend
He handcarry the laptop to my friend
Attila

Phrasal verbs: Take vs. Bring #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:40 am   Phrasal verbs: Take vs. Bring

I'd say, 'He's taking the laptop to my friend'. 'Bring' means 'to take to this place': bring the money to me here; he brought his girlfriend with him; I hope it brings you luck.

An interesting related story can be found on the following link:

Phrasal Verb Bring
http://www.english-test.net/lessons/7/index.html

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Affect vs effect | Meaning of "Dry run"
Quote: You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has...Are these noun phrases too difficult to explain?'Referred to' versus 'Referred as'A collective noun OF dragons :)Mechanisms in the brain...Meaning of "Put down"Meaning of GMTAt the hospital or in the hospital2 nights from nowContent vs contents'A year earlier' could be 'Earlier than any given date'I did it yesterday night VERSUS I did it last nightThe night before last