Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

dangerous; risky; perilous
hazardous
favorite
different
ready
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Mechanisms in the brain...

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Meaning of "Put down" | Unceasing vs. ceaseless
listening exercises
Mechanisms in the brain... #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 16:15 pm   Mechanisms in the brain...

Dear Teachers,

I'm a little confused about this sentence:

"There are also mechanisms in the brain to prevent unwanted nerve cell growth; these stop repair when axons are damaged by accident."

Is it saying that the mechanisms that prevent unwanted nerve cell growth would stop damaged axons from repairing?
All Potted Out
I'm here quite often ;-)

Mechanisms in the brain... #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 22, 2006 16:31 pm   Mechanisms in the brain...

Hi apo

I understand that the mechanisms that prevent unwanted nerve cell growth would also stop/prevent the repair ("healing") of damaged axons.

Amy

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Put down" | Unceasing vs. ceaseless
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
"the girl(')s' books" have the same pronunciation?Modifier "Any"Quote: You are the salt of the earth, but if the salt has...Are these noun phrases too difficult to explain?'Referred to' versus 'Referred as'A collective noun OF dragons :)Phrasal verbs: Take vs. BringCar (s) - I have no car[s]Meaning of GMTAffect vs effectAt the hospital or in the hospital2 nights from nowContent vs contents