particular form of something; variant; rendering; translation
article
mood
profession
version

Lonesome vs. alone

Expression: "It's quite beyond me" | I have never been to see that film at the local cinema
Lonesome vs. alone #1 (permalink) Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:37 am   Lonesome vs. alone

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for solitary and single", question 4

It was the cry of the baby next door that made her feel even more ......... and depressed.

(a) single
(b) alone
(c) lonesome
(d) solitary

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #114 "Synonyms for solitary and single", answer 4

It was the cry of the baby next door that made her feel even more lonesome and depressed.

Correct answer: (c) lonesome

It was the cry of the baby next door that made her feel even more alone and depressed.
_________________________

Can you explain me the difference between'lonesome' and 'alone',please? Their meanings are so close.

Alena
Alena

Alone/lonesome #2 (permalink) Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:25 am   Alone/lonesome

Hi Alena,

Alone is really stating a fact; if you are alone in your house, it simply means that there is no-one else there at the time. If you are lonesome in your house it means both that you are alone and also it suggests that you are unhappy about being on your own/alone.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Surely versus certainlyI walk to school VERSUS I walks to schoolIN and BESIDES - two parelell prepositions'looks like a' versus 'looks as a'All right vs. all correctMeaning of inaccuracyIdiom: "a pain in the neck"Meaning of "ache"Meaning of "paycheck"Meaning of "doodle"Idiom "hear me out"Difference between 'intention' and 'purpose'Why do we say refunded and not returned?