Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

having a degree or diploma; concerning studies beyond a bachelor's degree
sharp
incentive
supplementary
graduate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of "actually" | Meaning of 'a very modest dish'
listening exercises
Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #1 (permalink) Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:13 am   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #214 "What comes next (the letter)", question 5

I believe we met for lunch in an expensive restaurant and you ..........

(a) opted the priciest item on the menu
(b) tested the priciest item on the menu
(c) chose the priciest item on the menu
(d) entered the priciest item on the menu

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #214 "What comes next (the letter)", answer 5

I believe we met for lunch in an expensive restaurant and you chose the priciest item on the menu.

Correct answer: (c) chose the priciest item on the menu

Your answer was: incorrect
I believe we met for lunch in an expensive restaurant and you opted the priciest item on the menu.

dear teacher,

if the option is given as 'opted for the priciest item on the menu' then is it right. Is it true that you cant use 'opted' alone.

drashti
drashti

Is it true that you cant use 'opted' alone? #2 (permalink) Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:52 am   Is it true that you cant use 'opted' alone?

Yes, that is correct.

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #3 (permalink) Mon Nov 23, 2009 14:22 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

Hi everybody, I have a question:what means "the priciest item"? I can't find in the dictionary the word "priciest". Why it's not "expensive" instead it.

Thanks in advance,

hope to hear you soon :)
Insomnia_f
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 23, 2009 23:05 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

Priciest = most pricey = most expensive. Look HERE.

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #5 (permalink) Wed Nov 25, 2009 13:51 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

Thank a lot! :)
Insomnia_f

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #6 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2011 16:43 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

When does one use choose and when opt?
AngryB

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #7 (permalink) Tue Jul 12, 2011 23:01 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

For one thing, 'opt' refers to a set of predetermined choices. For another thing, 'opt' is usually rather formal or a business term.

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #8 (permalink) Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:50 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

for another thing= because of one more reason..?

thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone? #9 (permalink) Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:51 pm   Is it true that you can't use 'opted' alone?

Yes

Meaning of "actually" | Meaning of 'a very modest dish'
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
loquatious or loquacious?I painted the bathroomforced to downgrade their home and lifestyleWhen do we use do and did?What does sip mean?crossing vs crossWhat does "he'd just stride all over them" mean?Unreasonable vs. unclearExpression: dressed to the ninesExpression on your face...Use "allow me" instead of "let me"Phrase: "What are you on about?"Pay an account